Friday, August 17, 2012

Oakshotts in my Garden

My little bundle of Ruby Red Oakshott cottons have grown into beautiful flowers in my garden....!


These oakshott cottons were magnificent to use. They are so soft and yet thicker than most shot cottons I have used in the past, giving them good body and making them very easy to use for these layered flower applique shapes.


My flowers have been made using iron on fusible webbing. The beauty of the oakshott is that it doesn't matter which side you iron the webbing onto, it is a hand woven cotton not printed, so the shimmering colours are the same on both sides.


Each oakshott is made with two colours, one on the warp, one on the weft which is why these cottons sparkle and catch the eye. You should have seen the girls ooh and ahh over my little bundle when I took them to stitch night!


The background I have laid my flowers on is strips of various low colour fabrics, cut on a slightly crooked angle. The stripe and the gorgeous yellow Kaffe fabric in the pic below were too bright for the rest of the fabrics, so I turned them over and used the back of these fabrics on the front of the quilt. That worked well to tone them down to the other lighter fabrics.


Can you spot them in this pic?


I'm thinking of making up a little tute to show how I drew these flowers and adhered them to the quilt. Would anyone be interested in that?

A huge thank you to Michael from Oakshott for sending me these Ruby Red beauties, and to Lynne (Lily's Quilts) for the opportunity to get creative with them. Now I'm eyeing off a couple more bundles, especially the Tahiti and the Sunrise. If you would like more info about these beautiful Oakshott cottons, there is a lovely little video here that Julia has done, about the fabrics and how they came about. Now I'm going to have fun machine quilting around each of these flowers to raw edge applique the flowers in place.


Oh, and don't forget to leave a comment here to win my wordy, texty giveaway! It will close tomorrow evening. xo

39 comments:

Schulz Family said...

Absolutely fantastic. Looks like it was really quick to do. Cheers Karen. www.madewithmytwohands.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

Love, Love, Love the quilt! The Oakshotts were perfect for this!! Gorgeous!

Chookyblue...... said...

great quilt.......have fun sewing.....

Exuberant Color said...

I love that quilt! Perfect background for the flowers. I haven't tried Oakshotts yet.

Oops-Lah said...

I can only repeat what the others have said already; absolutely stunning. And yes, please a tutorial on how you've made the flowers. How are you going to quilt it?

Patchwork and Play said...

Ohh, a beautiful quilt! With a rave like that about the fabric, the Tahiti and Sunrise will be in you letter box before you know it!

OneLittleThread said...

This is really pretty and clever to use the back of some of the brighter fabrics.

debbie said...

Love Oakshott cottons! Fabulous quilt! Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Debbie Hall
Quiltingathome@earthlink.net

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

So very pretty Cathy!

Quiltjane said...

Cathy, that is such a beautiful quilt. I have some Oakshotts waiting to be used but did not even think to use for appliqué. A tutorial would be wonderful.

Donna~~ said...

You've lovely flowers in your garden! You always make the funnest things, and sorely tempt me to buy new fabrics! ;)

claire witherspoon said...

Love the pieced background and the bright flowers ontop. Having some run off the edges is very effective. It is nice to work with 'double sided' fabrics isn't it. Makes things a lot easier to construct! cheers, Claire W.

Barb said...

Sooooooooooo adorable!!!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Wow Cathy, I totally and utterly adore this - love the mix of the reds with the low value backgrounds and I love that you flipped the Kaffe too - I know you've done that before on your applique projects and it works so well. Also, jealous that you have your hands on the Green Tea book - I must get my hands on that too - I really want to have a go at that and have stashed all sorts of low value background fabrics to use for it. I'm kind of daunted by the amount of work involved though! LOVE LOVE LOVE what you did with the Oakshotts - I think that's my favourite Oakshott project to date, you're so blinking geniusly clever and I KNEW you'd knock it out of the park!

Amanda said...

Great quilt it is going to look fabulous all stitched up. Great use of the kaffe fabric and you wouldn't know it was back to front

audrey said...

beautiful! totally gorgeous! i have been slow to get 'into' solids, but the oakshotts are completely winning me over. i think it's the fact that since they are woven, they have that lovely, lovely texture.

Catherine said...

This is beautiful Cathy! Love the perfect low volume striped background.

Gill said...

Fabulous!

Cardygirl said...

Fabulous Cathy...but would I expect otherwise?

Lizzie said...

I love that quilt Cathy, it's just gorgeous..
Lizzie
xxx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

OMGoodness....your quilt is amazing Cathy...I love it...

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

Ooooh, it worked beautifully Cathy! I love how you've done some flowers all solid and some with the lighter layers. The layered background is just perfect.

Deb said...

Your quilt looks amazing Cathy, you are so creative and clever

Paula Hensley Murphy said...

love this Cathy, you are such an inspiration to me!

Heather said...

This looks wonderful. I must get some of those Oakshot cottons - they look fantastic.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Cathy what a wonderful happy quilt! I love the Oakshotts, beautiful color and texture!
I would love to see a tutorial!!!

Stephanie said...

The texture of the Oakshotts make it look multidimensional. Such rich colors that really pop on the paler background.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Oh Cathy, fantastic quilt again! I love the the way how you have made the 'bottom' quilt and also those flowers are amazing! I would love to see more how you have them.
Beautiful fabrics! x Teje

fiberchick said...

LOVELY!!! Am going to have a look at the backs of my fabrics more closely as Your background on this quilt is just gorgeous...

YankeeQuilter said...

wonderful! The pieced background is perfect with those flowers...

Anna said...

Looks wonderful!
I love your quilt and colours.
A hug.
Anna

Nedra said...

Oh, Cathy you know I love everything you make :) especially when you use Kaffes. I've always used his shot cotton for solids, but the Oakshot looks like a perfect mix.

Nifty Quilts said...

A beautiful quilt!! You've convinced me to try the Oakshotts soon.

Marit said...

What a happy quilt! Love your layering technique. It really makes the gorgeous shot cottons shine! Just beautiful...
; )

sewyouquilt2 said...

wow great quilt!

Quiltycat said...

Wonderful! I love how you macke the background...and the shot cottons are amazing...I bought the same color bundle!
nichi

Pile O Fabric said...

I love this! I have some Rubies to work with too, they are wonderful aren't they!

Ann Champion said...

I love the low volume pieced background. It's perfect for showing off the gorgeous flowers!

I've only ever used Kaffe's shot cottons and love the colors, but find them a bit thin. How are the Oakshotts in comparison? A purchase would be spendy for me with the shipping. I'm wondering if I should take the leap?

Sonja♥ said...

Yeah... oakshotts is also an addiction... like Liberty:)