Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ready to Go Forth....

....and Embellish! I'm very excited about my upcoming embellishment class with Sue Spargo next week at Amitie. My base sampler is ready, although I did change the given design a little!


Instead of flowers on a green wool background that I initially chose, I've gone with a beautiful linen/cotton fabric I purchased from the lovely Emma, and a text fabric for stems. Then I drew up some flowers and leaves and cut them out in the beautiful hand dyed wool fabrics I got from gorgeous Jen, these will be embellished in class (by the way, have you spied the Green Tea and Sweet Beans starter kits have arrived).


I loved the selvedge on this fabric so much I've decided to keep it as part of the design. More pics next week after the class.


I had a lovely surprise package in the mail today...Maree (On my Verandah) sent me some gorgeous fabrics she wasn't using, thank you so much Maree, these will definitely be put to good use!


Of course I had to take a photo of them in front of the plum tree just bursting with spring blossom. It has been a long gloomy winter here so I'm madly excited about spring on its way! So are the bees. The tree was swarming and this bee almost got me after it decided I was getting too close with my camera, yikes!


Also in the mail this week were these beauties...


I found these books in Megumi's wonderful little ebay shop Pomadour24, she has all sorts of new and seconds books (amongst other things) and she is so helpful and delightful! Also found her on etsy here. Check out this block, I love it!!


The books are all written in Japanese and two of them are 'back to front' reading from right to left instead of the left to right we are used to. But it doesn't matter that I cannot read the language, the illustrations are so clear and beautiful, it won't be hard to draw up these blocks for myself. Do you have any Japanese quilt books you love? Must say, I adore all of Yoko Saito's books (2 of the above are hers), what a talent! xo

18 comments:

Dan R said...

My only Japanese quilt book is also by Yoko Saito, Patchwork Lesson. It's gorgeous and inspiring, and like yours the illustrations are so good it doesn't matter that the text is in Japanese.

mieke said...

What a nice post, Cathy! So much to see...your quilt will look wonderful after the Sue sPargo class. I also love the work from Yoko Saito, I think I have about 10 of her books and they are of constant inspiration...
I also adore this block on the bookcover, wonderful! Maybe I could make it with the text fabrics I won, and some happy bright colours!!! Enjoy your class, wish I could be ther with you.
x

Stephanie said...

Pretty piece you'll be working on. I admire Sue's woolie goodness even if I don't play with wool. Loving that quilt with the unusual block and striped background. The Japanese do such amazing and tedious work. Attention to every detail and so precise. You'll certainly do any project you touch justice.

Ann Michelle said...

I love spring!! As we are headed into fall, I love the picture of your plum tree! Look forward to seeing which project you do from the Japanese books. :)

Pinkadot Quilts said...

That Japanese block is very cool!
I took a class with Sue Spargo and she is a lot of fun. You will have a great time. Beware she has lots of good things to buy too!

Oops-Lah said...

Oh I love your prepared block for Sue Spargo's workshop. I can't wait to see how it looks afterwards! And your plum tree is absolutely gorgeous. That's something I definitely miss here in the tropics, blooming fruit trees. And I too own lots of Japanese books, although, like you, I can't read them. But they are usually very well illustrated and anyway, I use them for inspiration as well.

Karen said...

Have a wonderful time - your little piece looks great. I'll have to check out the books - they look very interesting.

Nat at Made in Home said...

That looks looks amazing. I have bought books from her too, and they are so great! Are you going to do a review of some of the patterns - that will be really interesting.

Sujata Shah said...

Cathy,
I love Japanese magazines and books. Have few of those on my book shelf. Don't know Japanese but still fun to get inspired form them.
Your choice of linen background is wonderful. It makes those beautifully appliqued stems and flowers pop!
Have fun in your classes.

fiberchick said...

Ms Pompadour is fantastic... I love Japanese textile books (sewing too) . Every one is presented with such brilliant schematics that you don't need to read the language. Would love to do the Sue Spargo workshop some day. Your background is already lovely and I can't wait to see how you embellish it in her class! Have fun and please post lots of pics!

Nedra said...

I first met Sue Spargo many years when she was teaching at a local quilt shop in Utah. So wonderful to watch her rise to fame.
And I just read all about you on Pat Sloan's blog! Yay Cathy! Very fun to see you featured and to learn a little bit more about you:)

Sheila said...

Beautiful piece. I love it. Truly a piece of art.

Donna~~ said...

As always, you are working on lovely things and providing tempting books and ideas of things I truly "need"! :)

Miriam said...

Have lots of fun with Sue Spargo next week. Looove those stems!
Your blossom is gorgeous!
Thank you for the link to Megumi's shop. That quilt on the front of Quilts Japan is amazing!! Love the cheddar!

Jenny M said...

You will have a wonderful time at Sue's class; I went to one of her classes at Amitie when she was last out here. I look forward to seeing your flower piece finished after you have been inspired by Sue.
And thanks for the link to Pomadour24,I have just spent ages (at work!) checking out all the stunning books/mags. And yes, Yoko Saito is my all time favourite.

Danielle said...

enjoy the Sue Spargo workshop - your piece is going to look spectacular when its embellished. lots of my friends did the class here in WA and loved it! x

Lynne Shandley said...

Love the use of the newsprint for the stems of the flowers! Reminds me of the trunks of aspens and birches (maybe I need to get some newsprint fabric and make aspens?).

Jenny said...

can't wait to see the results of the sue spargo class! i can't believe she lives just hours from me, yet ive never been to her shop/class!!!