Friday, September 21, 2012

Down Under Doll Quilt & at the Treehouse!

My little quilt top for the Down Under Doll Quilt Swap is finished. It is a challenge to make a quilt for someone you don't know and hope they will like it. This has perhaps ended up a little vintage looking, I do hope that is ok?!


I have long adored the vivacious Lynne from Lily's Quilts quilt block that she calls Big Little George, so I decided to make up two of these gorgeous star blocks to put onto this lovely linen background. (Lynne has a fabulous tute for her block here). I made these blocks up using the freezer paper foundation piecing method, then I needle turn appliqued them onto the linen. I chose to leave the centre showing the beautiful linen, rather than appliquéing a different fabric there.


Then I added on a few stars that I drew up and then needle turned them all onto the linen. Again I kept the selvedge in, I love the look and feel of that selvedge and it adds a great detail.


The fabulous thing about a doll quilt (or mini quilt, they are not actually for dolls!!), is that the smaller size (this is around 24 inches) makes them pretty quick to sew up.


Now to quilt it! Maybe by hand? If you want to see more of these doll quilts, check out the flickr group here. There is such inspirational work there.

Also, have you heard...Emma from Treehouse Textiles is having an open day tomorrow from 9:30am - 3pm (more details here). If you have never been there before this is a fabulous opportunity to come and check it out. If you are a regular, pop in and see what is new. There will be gorgeous tea and coffee and a treat as well as items on sale. I will be there all day so come and say Hi. xo



13 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

Love the linen and stars in grey and pastels! The selvage adds even more fun texture. I'm off to go look at the other doll quilts now. Thanks!

Quiltjane said...

Gorgeous as always and I love the placement of the appliqué and the greta background fabric.

Kathie said...

it is beautiful , what a treasure, anyone would love to own this quilt. hand quilting will bring it to even a great level in mho :)
no pressure , sure wishing it was winging it way to the USA! would look wonderful on my wall of quilts!
Kathie

Patchwork and Play said...

The selvedge gives the quilt a quirky twist! I love your colour choice too! I'm saving my visit to Treehouse until next Friday- I'm doing the Medallion workshop!

Teresa said...

That is really charming on the calming background. I love that circular block with your needle turned stars! I can see why you were itching to make some.

In stitches,Teresa :o)

Jenny M said...

Gorgeous! Someone is going to be so lucky to receive this mini quilt.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, hope you feel better. The mini quilt is adorable as well as all your colorful blocks!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love it...

Annie said...

What a gorgeous little quilt. I'm sure it will be well appreciated

Marisa said...

Your quilt looks stunning. Nice work. Are those yarn balls left-overs? What a cute bowl to display them!

Claudia said...

Super lovely mini! I really love the design and I think hand stitches on the linen would look perfect.

Miriam said...

A beautiful little quilt, Cathy!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

What a pretty piece. I am especially fond of the balls of yarn. Love all the colours. I found my way here from Sharon at Home blog and I'm now following along.