Tuesday, October 9, 2012

When we visited Amitie and Quilts in the Barn

Last weekend I had two gorgeous interstate (from QLD) visitors come and stay for a couple of days. Not only that, these two are 'stitchy' friends! Our very first item on our 'to do' list was a visit to a favourite haunt of mine Amitie in Gardenvale. We had a wonderful time with Jen and Lucy and two hours and a nice addition to the stash later we headed on home.


There are some Daiwabo fabrics in there, a Lecien and a couple of Moda, a Liberty and yes, on top there is a Bloomsbury Liberty...yes, Amitie now have the gorgeous Bloomsbury Liberty range, get in quick if you want some of these.

Next day we made a trip up to Wonga Park to see Linda's fabulous quilt hanging at Quilts in the Barn.  This years theme was red and white quilts and wow, they were awe inspiring!

 Double Wedding Quilt made by Amanda Denton

Linda had put together a wonderful display, both new and antique quilts, a few from the 1800's!

Antique Red Stars c1890 made my Margaret Mew

I apologise for my pics, I took them on my new phone, and often on a side view so I didn't get the people viewing the quilts in the pic too!!! If you pop over to Meredithe's gorgeous blog Pomegranate and Chintz, you can see much better photo's! Oh and Miriam at Yellow Roses blog has even more photo's, wow!

Red Crosses made by Linda Collins (Quilts in the Barn)
quilted by Karen (Quilts on Bastings)

It was a wonderful visit and I'm keen to visit again next year. I've come home very inspired to finally finish off my red and white quilt that I started many many years ago (well, dark pink and cream really!!!)...


I love this old toile, it reminds me of Dr Suess characters...


Mmm, I showed this old quilt top back in 2009 and I still haven't finished it. I guess I'm still trying to work out how to quilt it, heehee!

Thank you Jo and Marie for a fabulous weekend (I didn't even remember to take a photo of the three of us!), safe travels home. xo

20 comments:

Cathy said...

Lovely post... My favorite is that double wedding ring... Wonderful!!

Salley said...

Nothing like a good PhD (project half done) sitting around! and this one looks perfect.. . .very effective. Once again I am in awe of your needle turn skills.

Amitie is my favourite Melb shop. . .lucky for the credit card I live nowhere close . . as your beautiful purchases attest! cant wait to see some "Cabbage" creativity with this lot!

Patchwork and Play said...

Your toile quilt is glorious! You MUST finish it! That's if you can resist that yummy stash of Amitie fabrics!

Deb said...

I love the fabrics you got at Amitie, the Liberty Bloomsbury is gorgeous. Yesterday I was looking at the photos Miriam (Yellow Roses) posted of the Quilts in the Barn exhibition and it made me think of your beautiful red and white appliqued quilt waiting patiently to be quilted, I love this one! So glad you've got it out to show us again.

Jenny M said...

The Red & White exhibition at Quilts in the Barn was so interesting, so many wonderful quilts. Your 'red & white' quilt top is beautiful, love all those leaves.

Kathie said...

Beautiful quilt I do hope you quilt it soon and hang it in your home, its worthy of being finished, I just love that quilt. Fabrics are beautiful.
a bit of shopping , wow!!!!
what fun, oh I wish I could have been at quilts in the barn I thought about it all weekend
Kathie

Quilts on Bastings said...

I was at Quilts in the Barn on Friday - it was a wonderful exhibition!
Love your Red & White Quilt - you should finish it.
Cheers,
Karen

Miriam said...

Love your new pile of fabrics! Thank you for the tip about Bloomsbury!
There was an amazing array of quilts to see at Linda's this year! I went on Friday morning.
Your red and white UFO is beautiful! I love the centre and the print fabric!

Stephanie said...

This show seemed the perfect inspiration for you to finish your own gorgeous red and white quilt. Love the toile. Love the spots on your stack of new fabric!!!

Annie said...

Has Amite moved? I thought it was in Bently. I loved the Quilts in the Barn too. A lovely setting for gorgeous quilts.

Dee said...

Thank you for sharing such lovely quilts and how glad I am for you to spend time with friends!

Love your quilt!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Ooh, beautiful fabrics and quilts! Yours is gorgeous. So glad you're inspired to finish it.

Nyla said...

So glad you got to attend Quilts in the Barn. I'm looking forward to Linda posting all the quilts. Will take a look at these links in the meantime. Your toile top is just lovely and absolutely deserves quilting. I know you'll enjoy those new fabrics. Happy stitching!

CathyK said...

I just love this quilt eye candy! Thank you for sharing!

Oops-Lah said...

Love your pink and cream quilt, it's just gorgeous. So glad you had a good visit with your friends. It's always fun to have friends with the same interests visiting. And gorgeous new fabrics to top it all off!

meli B said...

I love the way you can go out and see some new things and get all fired up again.

James said...

Hi,
Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Quilting Community? Our members will love it!
Members include: Quilters, Quilting Enthusiasts, Experts, Bees, Circles and Clubs.
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also share Photos, Videos and Articles if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
The Quilting Community: http://www.vorts.com/quilting/
I hope you consider sharing with us.
Thank you,
James Kaufman, Editor

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

love your quilt.....gorgeous fabric...

pandchintz said...

It was a great exhibition wasn't it? Love your quilt - and yes, you should finish it! (Says she with lots unfinished!)

jonny bant said...

Thank you for sharing such lovely quilts and how glad I am for you to spend time with friends!
Greg McRay