Thursday, November 22, 2012

Museum Medallion Quilts x 4!

I'm loving how these Museum Medallion Quilts grow...from this...


to this...


Only a couple more borders to go.

For a little information on this quilt...Judy Newman (a Very Fine House) created this beautiful pattern based on a quilt made in the early 1800's that is exhibited in a London Museum. When Judy was asked to teach it at Treehouse Textiles, a few of us jumped at the chance to make our own Musuem Medallions (I was also very keen to learn how to hand piece!). What I really love is how each quilt, though exactly the same pattern, looks so very different. Check out three of my friends works of art...

Susan (PatchworknPlay) has used beautiful pinks, yellows and splashes of green to make her medallion sing.


I especially love the 'flower petals' around her beautiful central star and her wonderful yellow and pink borders. See more of Susan's quilt and watch it grow here.



Deb (72 Derwents) is creating her heirloom using a lot of reproduction fabrics, which are dancing on that divine blue spot background and the textural red border.


I love this photo Deb took a couple of borders back...


Beautiful isn't it? You can see more on Deb's blog here.

Michelle (The Quilted Tortoise) has chosen luscious Liberty's of London to make her stunning Medallion (not all but the majority are Liberty's)...


Michelle has even been able to include a Liberty of London selvedge in her quilt...


Very clever! Watch Michelle's blog here for more of her deluxe Medallion.

Each of these three quilts are exquisite and so very different from each other. The majority of these quilts are being hand pieced (I am machine piecing the long borders, all else is hand done)...


I'm quite happy with the black Denyse Schmidt fabric (Greenfield Hill) for this border. It almost looks ethereal. Now to finish hand piecing lots of circles for my next border and get that done.


Have you made or are making a Museum Medallion quilt? Or a quilt you will consider to be an heirloom when you are done?


24 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wow Cathy - it just keeps getting more beaautiful! I only wish I was working on a heirloom like yours. Thanks for sharing the others with us.

Patchwork and Play said...

What company am I in?! All the quilts are going to be real family heirlooms! Deb's colours are wonderful! And Michelle's Liberty fabric- sigh! I hope one day to see these in person! I can hardly wait to begin hand quilting mine...that will be a job for 2013! Thanks for including me!

Hope said...

They are all so beautiful!

Nifty Quilts said...

I smiled and gasped when I saw yours with the borders. Really, fabulous. Unexpected combinations of fabrics--my favorite. Thank you for showing the others too. They are all wonderful!

Grit said...

So fantastic.
Liebe Grüße Grit

a very fine house said...

Those quilts are looking so beautiful, I can't wait to catch up with you all again and see them in real life. Judy

meli B said...

Great photos showing the changes. Your blue border is an inspired choice. The tessellated borders with all their colours are so lively. I can't believe you have more to go!

Maree: said...

WOW Cathy your top is Awesome....I Love it.
Cheers

Salley said...

Such visual delight. Thankyou! Your back is as good as your front and your friend's Liberties are covetable.

Lynne W said...

This is stunning. Itching to start one of my own!

Lynne W said...

This is stunning. Itching to start one of my own!

Jackie said...

Yours is absolutely gorgeous!! Just amazing! But I can't believe all the other versions are quite unbelievable as well. I love them all!!!

Stephanie said...

Just sitting here ooooo-ing and aaahhhh-ing over the beautiful workmanship, fabric, and color selections.

PatSloan said...

this is so exciting! I love seeing the same quilt made up in different fabrics... thank you so much for sharing them!!

Selvage Quilter said...

Beautiful quilts!
Happy Thanksgiving,
Karen

fiberchick said...

Your choice of that Denise Schmidt border is inspired... Yet another stunning quilt-Bravo!!!

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

Cathy, that is a GORGEOUS quilt!! I loved it when it was small and it just keeps getting better and better!

Leeann said...

This is what I love about quilting, you can give the same pattern to quilters BUT the quilts always turn out different

Sarah said...

Hi Cathy! Wow! This is indeed going to be an heirloom quilt... It's stunning! I love the Denyse Schmidt fabric in the border as well. Beautiful!

Pip said...

They are all gorgeous quilts and I love how you are all using different fabrics and making them your own.

I have been mulling over making this quilt for some time now and nearly bought the pattern at the Melbourne quilt show, wish I had as I can't find one now.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Archie the wonder dog said...

They're all exquisite!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Unbelievably gorgeous! I love the fabrics you're using, and also the colors in the other quilts. Thanks for sharing so much inspiration!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

How gorgeous. Reminds me of a round robin. Get a beautiful center, and keep adding to it, making it even better as the quilt gets bigger.

Florence (Flossie Teacakes) said...

I've so been looking forward to seeing this post. What a stunning gallery - so lovely to see them all in one place. They all look so different.

The blue rosey fabric is beautiful.