Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Quilt in the Garden

Last week a friend and I took her recently finished Hugs and Kisses Quilt (or Japanese x and +) to Heronswood on the Mornington Peninsula for a photo shoot, we had a glorious day for it...


Kathy has only been quilting for about 18 months, and since then she has been prolific in her quilt making and very happy to take on more complicated designs. This quilt uses a lot of scraps, including many Kaffe scraps, lots of gorgeous dots and stripes, and comes together beautifully to look a little like a stained glass window.


We had fun draping the quilt around the beautiful gardens at Heronswood. I love this shot, looks a bit like something you would see in a Kaffe Fassett quilt book don't you think (forgiving my less than great photography skills of course!!)? Click on the pic to see better.


A lovely photo of Kathy on her quilt. You can see the ocean in the background if you look closely!


The flowers at Heronswood are always beautiful, they had some Bearded Irises in a jar that day, the colours look almost vintage!


I had fun playing with the different effects in Picasa, and decided I like this one the best, now the quilt really does stand out like stained glass...


It was a lovely day and a wonderful setting for Kathy's stunning quilt.

A couple of days ago I had a visitor in my own garden at home...


Isn't he a beauty? I couldn't get a good photo of him on the towel he had landed on, so I let him crawl onto my finger. He posed there for a little while before flying off.

31 comments:

Annabella said...

Oh wow, it really does look like something you would see in a Kaffe Fasset book. It's stunning!

Stephanie said...

A beautiful location to shoot such a pretty quilt.

Dee said...

She did an excellent job! It's a beautifiul quilt and I've enjoyed wishing myself there...with palm trees! lol

Thanks Cathy!

Oops-Lah said...

Absolutely stunning quilt and absolutely stunning pictures!

LynCC said...

Boy, that sure is pretty there in the garden!And it does look like a stained glass window. :)

Teje Karjalainen said...

Wonderful post again, Cathy! That quilt is so beautiful with delicious colours and great pattern! Also the place you visited looks fantastic! x Teje

Exuberant Color said...

Thank you for the beautiful photos today. The setting was beautiful for the quilt and did remind me of the phtography in Kaffe's books.

Love the colors in the bearded iris!

Patchwork and Play said...

I love how Kathy has made all the + a lighter colour so they are a feature! A beautiful quilt in a beautiful setting!

Chookyblue...... said...

what a gorgeous spot to photograph a beautiful quilt.......

Every Stitch said...

Thanks for a lovely post - a breath of fresh air. The setting was perfect for a beautiful fresh quilt!
Every Stitch

Maree: said...

A Fabulous Quilt in a Gorgeous Setting....Lovely Photography...Well Done to Kathy too.
Cheers

Salley said...

Thankyou for those Bearded Irises... A memory trip straight into my Mother's 1960's garden. Sigh.
Great quilt / clever use of fabrics.

Shocking Hocking said...

beautiful - it's finished - yay!!! and photgraphing it at heronswood - fabulous idea - now there's another good reason to a member of diggers!

CathyK said...

LOVE that quilt! It is just stunning!!!!

Nedra said...

What a beautiful setting! And I still have that quilt on my to-do list :) Every time I see yours (or your friends) I become inspired again.

Deezebra said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your photos of Kathy's stunning quilt at beautiful Heronswood. I'm even more inspired to make Hugs and Kisses now.

Cottage Rose said...

Love her quilt, so beautiful. and such a gorgeous spot to take a few photos.....

So happy I found your blog... love it... have a great weekend

Hugs;
Alaura

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Stunning....

pandchintz said...

Gorgeous quilt - congrats to Kathy!! Love a dragonfly....does that mean some sort of good luck will be coming your way?!

Susie said...

A beautiful quilt - and I like your friend! Heronswood? Have never heard of it? (and have been going down to Mornington Peninsula since I was born!! Ignorant aren't I?).

leesa jhon said...

WOW! All the images looking so attractive thanks for the sharing.

Villas for Rent in Italy

meli B said...

The quilt looks spectacular. The design is so much fun and will always be one of a kind. How green does it look out there? Hope it stays like that through the summer.

Johnny said...

great photos and works
tricka

RNDTECHNOLOGIES said...

Nice blog

PS Daima said...

Great Post, I like it
Leather Lace

Eva Leisure said...

Hi, really nice pictures. I love espacially the "quilt in the roses" picture, this looks so nice. Hope my roses will last during winter and I am also able to make nice quilt in the garden pictures next spring.

Jackie said...

18 months of quilting and such a beautiful quilt! Great color selection and a fabulous photo shoot. 18 more months of quilting and we are going to see more stunners, I am sure!

cottonreel said...

Your blog is a joy to read . The quilt is beautiful and the flowers delightful

subrota said...

nice post,it is my favorite post.thank you.

CxiCxi de Castro said...

Im from the Philippines and I really appreciate this!
I like your collections!
Your blog is perfect! Im counting on your site!

SAS ruhin said...

great design. i like it. thanks for share this creative design.
Coduri Postale Constanta