Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Writing is on the Wall!

In between all my hand piecing projects lately, I have been designing and making up a quilt for a friends daughter. My friend had chosen gorgeous British fabrics (her daughter adores London!), in red, white, blue and black/grey. Her daughter is young and a self confessed tomboy (she is a beautiful girl) who wanted her last name on the quilt. I decided to use a brick wall design and try and 'graffiti' her name on, in fabrics of course! (click on pic to get a closer view)


I've never tried fabric writing before, so I don't know that I was overly successful, but I'm pretty happy with it now the quilt is together.


A little harder to see is the 2012 which initially I sewed in upside down and made it read 2102!! Glad I spotted that before I went too much further, so only a little bit of unpicking!


I had some leftover 'bricks', so they went into the back of the quilt.


I will probably quilt this fairly simply, perhaps straightlines across the bricks and maybe some zigzagging across the name and date. It's a fairly large quilt (roughly 87" x 77") so it may take a little while to quilt!


I don't usually go for these colours, but it has been a lot of fun to create something a little out of my comfort zone and to try something new. I hope she likes it. xo

17 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

What an amazing quilt. I love the simplicity of the brick wall with the complexity of the letters. I'm sure the young lady will be chuffed!

Patchwork and Play said...

I'm sure the recipient will love it! It's fabulous- so bold and graphic! It certainly makes a statement! (I hope you survived the heat!)

Quiltjane said...

Looks fabulous Cathy, I love all the fabrics.

Every Stitch said...

How creative of you - you've gone to a lot of trouble there :) and it wil be much loved. The British theme fabrics are wonderful!
Every Stitch

Paula Hensley Murphy said...

well, she is going to love that! Looks so modern and young. WTG what a great design......lovin it!

Jackie said...

Oh my... this is a great quilt!! I actually have a few bolts of british fabric that I purchased specifically for my daughter. She would love this quilt that you made... although it is the wrong name... LOL! Great job, she will love it!

Nedra said...

I'm sure she will love it! And the colors would match very well with our 4th of July celebrations here in the U.S. too.

Anna said...

She is going to love it! and isn't the gift of creation what quilting is all about!

Nifty Quilts said...

This is so different than your other quilts--but still so "Cathy" in it's beauty and style. I'm sure she will LOVE it!

Leeann said...

I'm sure she will love it. I'm glad you noticed the date was upside down. That sounds like the type of mistake I make!

Maree: said...

Fabulous Job Cathy and I Love the Back.
Cheers

Nat at Made in Home said...

Great quilt!

Pip said...

what's not to love about the quilt, gorgeous and graphic and should appeal to the recipient. It's always good to move out of the comfort zone occasionally and try something new.

Marit said...

Beautiful gift, Cathy! Love the fun letters.
; )

Stephanie said...

Fit for a self-confessed Tomboy! I know she'll be thrilled. It's fantastic.

pandchintz said...

What fun!! It looks great and I'm sure the recipient will think so too - if not, you can always send it this way!

Rodney Gervacio said...

Wow!! nice!
cute as these INFANT CAR SEATS..
Check it out at http://www.etsy.com/shop/chubbybaby