Saturday, December 8, 2012

Couple of Blocks and a Sale

I do apologise for my slight hibernation at this time of the year. I find in the crazy season, I tend to lie low a little!! I do have a couple of my Kim McLean Flower Garden blocks to show...


and this one...


I have been using the needleturn method to applique these blocks and the many, many branches on this block proved an interesting challenge. In the end I decided to use the front basting method to applique these in place. I wrote a small tute for this over on the Glorious Applique blog a long time ago. The link for it is here if you are interested in seeing how this method works.


It made stitching around each branch very easy and I didn't need to juggle thousands of pins. They were also too teeny to glue, so the front basting method worked very well. I would love to know if anyone has a different method to tackle a piece like this?

These blocks are being made up with the majority of fabrics from Keiko Goke's ranges. I have purchased a lot of them from Liza over at Glorious Colour, and she has told me that she is having a sale for these beautiful fabrics. Keiko's fabrics are quite expensive, so coming down from $15.50 to $10 is a great time to grab them. Unfortunately these fabrics are becoming too expensive so this will be the last of them for Liza. Check them all out here.

My Museum Medallion quilt is coming along, a few more borders being added this weekend. It's getting so big I don't know how I will photograph it! This block is one of the corner stars, so sweet!


I will leave you with a photo of my funny Groodle, Millie, quietly pretending she is a cushion!


See you soon. xo

24 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Gorgeous applique Cathy - wish I had funds to buy a bunch of that fabric!
And your corner blocks for your medalion look great too.

Anna said...

oh my how sweet is Millie!

Quiltjane said...

Your work is always so beautiful Cathy. I liked the method of top basting, although I prefer just to turn it under from a marked line. Millie is a cutie. The oodles and poodles have such beautiful faces.

Patchwork and Play said...

Your flowers are beautiful!!! I'm not familiar with the front basting method, but I'm glad it worked for you! And how cute is Millie?! I suspect she doesn't like the heat much!

LynCC said...

Those flower blocks really make me smile :) Front basting looks a lot like back-basting. I love that method.

ELENAVA наслаждаюсь печворком, квилтингом said...

Очень нравится.

Sew Lovins said...

Absolutely have to try the front baste method and find out about back baste method. On myHawaiian appliqué I hand baste with large hand stitches then go back and needle turn but I now have to try this method. Thanks!!

Pip said...

When I made that block, I made a whole lot of bias in the fabric I was using and appliqued all the frondy bits down, turned the ends under, then laid another piece of bias on top to cover all the bits.

Your block looks really good :) wish I had a few extra $$ to buy some Keiko Goke, might just have a look though.

Salley said...

I did exactly the same as Pip!
But yours looks gorgeous having been cut from the one piece of Fabric. Masterful!
Thanks for the Keiko tip. I hoard some precious ones. They are outrageously priced here as you know.
Happy to see a fluffball...wanting a walkies??

Lovely colourful and inspiring post, as always.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Cathy! Super beautiful garden blocks! Thank you for the link!
I'm happy to see also your sweet friend! x Teje

meli B said...

Hi Cathy, don't tempt me! I love Keiko Goke and her wild fabrics. I have some stashed away, but I haven't had the heart to cut into them yet. $10 a metre is so hard to resist.

Stephanie said...

Millie is adorable. Perhaps she's wishing for her own quilt or cushion? :o) I always love peeks of what you're working on.

Oops-Lah said...

I have tried many ways of applique until I found Ami Simms' method. I have never tried your way but will give it a try as it looks really effective. The only thing I don't quite understand is how you make sure the applique piece goes exactly where it's supposed to on the background fabric? Your blocks look fabulous by the way.

Maree: said...

Your Millie is very photogenic...too Cute.
Love your Works in Progress....
Cheers

Nedra said...

Nice to see you've been able to get some quilting done. It's important to take time off here and there :)

Karen said...

Cathy - your blocks are awesome! I know you must be excited to see them taking shape.

Annie said...

What beautiful happy blocks you are working on. I wanted to point out which is my fave, but both are awesome. One pretty and the other fabulously whimsical! I love them both.

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

I heart these blocks so much Cathy! The fabric you've used for the branches is so perfect and adds so much to the block overall. I haven't seen this method before and I would love to try it out - no doubt the appliqué bug will hit me again soon :)

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

I just LOVE those blocks! SO pretty!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the beautifully fabrics you are using - such a stunning project! I haven't done any hand applique for a while -usually use the starch method.

Nifty Quilts said...

You are a master at fabric combinations. They always look fresh, fun, and uniquely yours. Lovely blocks!

Jenny M said...

Totally agree with Nifty Quilts, your fabric combinations are amazing.

Aoife O'Halloran said...

Those flower garden blocks blow my mind! The technique couple with those fabrics... brilliant, I'd never come up with that on my own :) Thanks for sharing, and for the links!

Danielle said...

These are so beautiful, Cathy. Your work is so inspiring.