Sunday, January 20, 2013

A couple of Books and a few Blocks

One of my New Years Resolutions was to get a few quilts/blocks/tops finished before beginning anything new. I am slowly working away at that one. The second resolution was to be a better blogger. So far I am failing that one miserably!!! I will keep on trying though and I thank all of my readers, lurkers and commenters for your patience with me and my slowness.

Today I want to have a little rave about a couple of gorgeous books I have here. The first is from my gorgeous New York friend Victoria Findlay Wolfe (Bumble Beans) who has put together a wonderfully inspiring book showing her amazing quilting style. And this lady does have style!!


There are many things I love in this book, but one thing is how Victoria can take an orphaned block (perhaps the block was to be a part of something else, but didn't end up being used) and then add other blocks and fabrics and come up with a beautiful, improvised quilt!


Victoria has just finished her Santa Kitchen Sink quilt over on her blog, check out her blog post here to be totally inspired by using orphan blocks!!


The other book was a wonderful surprise gift to me for my birthday last year from Michelle (The Quilted Tortoise), who thoroughly spoilt me with Brigitte Giblin's stunning book Feathering the Nest.


Like Victoria's book, Brigitte's is jammed full of inspiration, beautiful photo's and many 'oh I have to make that' quilts!! I especially love this one...


Back in 2010 I had the pleasure to meet Brigitte when I visited Material Obsession for the first time here (MO are in the next State to me about 12 hours drive so I don't get there very often, alas!). Brigitte had a suitcase full of her incredible quilts and I drooled over them during the class she was teaching at the time!


I do love a good quilt book, don't you?


Also happening here is my slow working on my Green Tea and Sweet Beans blocks. Firstly two large (12.5 inches) tulip blocks were done..


and the second one, I do love these blocks and all hand pieced...


Now I am working away at the little propeller blocks, they are only 3.5 inches and so cute!!


Anyone else working on this pattern? Or finished it? I would love to see! xo

19 comments:

Cathy said...

Gorgeous post! I love all the gorgeous colour!!

Oops-Lah said...

Oh what eye candy!
Incidentally; yesterday I tried out your "front basting method" the first time and I was staggered how easy it was. I think it's especially great for big pieces to be appliqued. Thanks so much for introducing me to it. xx

Cardygirl said...

Great books...love your blocks too!

Quiltefia said...

A little hallo from Oslo, Norway!! I love the Feathering the nest book!! So inspiring! i love the"ikon" quilt!! Is that quilt from the other book?? I'm working on the green tea quilt too! Its so much fun in it. I handsaw and saw with machine when i can. I think australian designers do a great job! Anne:-)

jean said...

Great post Cathy, keep at the finishing, I am also aiming on some finishes before I start anything new, will be interesting once I get back to class and tempted :-) Brigittes book is fantastic isn't it

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love the look of Brigitte's book, I've seen some marvellous quilts that have been inspired by it! Your GTSB blocks are lovely!

dutchcomfort said...

Great books Cathy!
I bought the Green Tea and Sweet Beans pattern, but I’m not allowed to start working on the blocks. I need to get some projects finished first!
Are you participating in the BOM at AmitiƩ?

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Thanks for your kind words Cathy! Have a super day!

LJ said...

Unlurking for a minute to say that You are one of my favourite inspiring quilters! Thank you for sharing your work with the rest of us! I LOVE your use of colour and print. When I grow up I want to quilt just like you! :)

Anna said...

I can count on you to start the day with brightness...just perfect for us that are still in the middle of winter!

Barb said...

Love the blocks and the book does seem interesting....thanks for the review on it.

Nifty Quilts said...

I'm loving your "Green Tea and Sweet Peas" blocks! You always come up with the most wonderful fabric combinations.

Salley said...

You should see my smile everytime I see there is a new post from you! Always a sunny start to the day. Great books and lovely blocks.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I have and enjoy Victoria's book. Feathering You Nest looks like another great one.
Your blocks are lovely - it's going to be another stunner of a quilt.

Nat Palaskas said...

I see you are blogging more often this year! I just ordered my copy of 15 minutes of play this morning and Mrs. Lincoln'ts Dressmaker too! I have been admiring Victoria's work and it's a nice thing to support our blogger friend - Enjoy Monday

the running chicken quilting said...

I have been working on this quilt for ages!! Nearly there now....I have moments of great progress followed by no work at all!!! I just love it though!

pandchintz said...

Love your all hand pieced blocks!!

Pinklibby said...

I am sharing your resolution for the New Year. But have not even begun to organize all of the UFO's. I am afraid that all of your beautiful quilts will lure me to begin a new project. They are just beautiful and thanks for the notes on the books, I also like 15 minutes of play and am about to place an order!

Shaz said...

Yes, I'm doing the green tea and sweet beans quilt as well, and by hand also! It is a beautiful quilt, and I'm taking my time and doing it between other quilting also.