Saturday, August 17, 2013

Book Review

Recently a gorgeous blogger friend of mine Nifty Quilts did a little review of a book called Quilts by Roderick Kiracofe. I fell in love and bought it immediately... 


...only to find there were two of them, so of course, I had to have both!

As quoted on the Blurb site (where the books are self published and purchased) these books display...'A stunning array of quirky, eccentric, maverick and extraordinary quilts that break the rules'.

Roderick Kiracofe, who authored 'The American Quilt: A History of Cloth and Comfort 1750 - 1950', has collected these quilts dated from 1950 to the end of the 20th century, finding them from various sources such as flea markets, estate sales, ebay and private dealers, many with unknown makers. 

Photo's shown with permission from Roderick Kiracofe

He has showcased his collection in these two books so beautifully, even eclectically, some quilts are half shown on one page, then finished on the next page. Other quilts spread themselves across two pages while others take up one page leaving a blank white page opposite. 

Photo's shown with permission from Roderick Kiracofe

This way of capturing the quilts, along with the breathtaking beauty and distinctiveness of the quilts themselves really appealed to me.

Back of quilts 2 book

Most of the superb photography is done by Sharon Risedorph. I can highly recommend these books, and if you would like to see more 'insider' photo's, have a look at Nifty's beautiful shoutout (with the one and only Gwen Marston if you please!), or click on the books in the blurb store to see more photo's and where you can purchase either of the books in softcover, hardcover ebook here.

Back of quilts book

Hugely inspired by the quilts shown in these books, I have begun to make my own improvisational quilt blocks. I will show a sneak peek here, with a promise to show more very soon! They are made using the gorgeous Oakshott cottons called Impressions alongside a few other fabrics. 


Also, have you seen Kaffe Fassett's new book Quilt Grandeur is available over at Glorious Colour? My copy is in the post so there will be a book review on that in the near future too! See you soon. xo

13 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

Great looking books! I might have to check them out. Thanks Cathy...

Rosa said...

Looks great.Thanks for the review!

fiberchick said...

EEK!!! I've had the first Kiracofe book since it was published but had no idea there was a second one. Thank you so much!!!

Nifty Quilts said...

I'm so glad you are loving these books! Roderick's collection is SO inspiring. I love your fresh, updated translation of the spirit in those quilts!

Nedra said...

Love the look in these books! thanks for the leads.

Donna~~ said...

You are such a temptress! Looks like great books to curl up and dream with! Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Janet said...

Thanks for the review, it looks like I need both for inspiration.

Susie said...

Gee, self published quilt books what a great idea.

meli B said...

I just checked out his books - simply gorgeous! Yes my Kaffe book should be coming my way soon. It has been on order for months.

Annie said...

I LOVE the Oakshot Cottons - and these books look amazing. Thanks for the review.

Cynthia@aquilterbynight said...

I hadn't heard of these books - they look fabulous. I will look forward to seeing how your own project progresses!

Emma Watson said...

Wow! All of these quilts are looking fantastic thanks for the sharing.

Lovely Villa Rentals in Italy

AllyJo said...

I'm thinking I need these books too. They are "me". I own some quilts similar to this, passed down from family. Thanks for the helpful review.