Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Mandala

Hubby and I have just returned from a lovely small holiday down to Phillip Island. It's nice to get away for a bit from the house, the phone and other day to day distractions. We didn't have any internet coverage either so we really had a break!! And while he surfed, I read and stitched (of course!). For a long time I've wanted to stitch up a Mandala, so I have started...


 The pattern for this is from this lovely book, Liesels Funfecke....


This book is written in German, however all I needed were the templates, and I was set.

Part of the Mandala is shown on the back cover.


I decided last minute to take this away with me, so I had about 10 minutes to grab some fabrics to play with. I had a few old repro fabrics, to which I added a few newer brighter fabrics. I threw them all in my roomy Bolga basket and I was ready to go!


I don't know if these fabrics are going to play well together, but I'm not sure I mind. I'm using the hand piecing method (rather than the english paper piecing as shown in the book) and it is so therapeutic just to sit down with a needle and thread and lovely fabrics. Next round done, now to get some stars made. xo

28 comments:

Patchwork and Play said...

This is gorgeous Cathy! You ability to mix repro fabrics with modern ones is inspiring! Keep going- I want to see some more!

Janet said...

I love it, I think it's going to look awesome and better still you're using the stash.

Oops-Lah said...

Gorgeous start of a no doubt another beautiful quilt. I must say I find hand piecing wonderfully relaxing, although I'm an only recent convert of the technique.

Grit said...

It is a wonderful start. I love this book too.

Stephanie said...

What a gorgeous start to your project. Life's pace can be too fast at times...I'd love to hide out in a mountain cabin with books and sewing...no computer, no phone. :o) I really want to do more hand quilting. I'm always inspired by your beautiful stitches.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

What a lovely pattern!

Amanda said...

Its looking good. So far the fabrics are playing very nicely together. I'm thinking of doing some paper piecing don't know if the hand piecing is really my thing but I have to get on with an appliqué quilt next. It has been waiting for a few weeks in the corner of my living room.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carla said...

Hi!!!! I is very pretty!!!!

Cynthia@aquilterbynight said...

Everything about this is fabulous - I love your fabric choices.

imquilternity said...

Cathy, you have such a great eye for combining interesting fabrics! This is looking gorgeous already and I'm sure will only continue to get better as it grows in size.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's gorgeous!!!

liniecat said...

WoW its delightful! and that bit different to what we see so often too

liniecat said...

Is the mandala paper pieced?

Nedra said...

You always have such an eye for color. I think your fabrics look wonderful together. This is the first I've read of this book. Looks like some really nice ideas :)

Jan Marie said...

Love your basket.

maria said...

It's beautiful. I personally think that using templates and hand stitching gives a better effect than EPP as you're less likely to see the stitching.

Stina... said...

A lovely start...haven't seen that book at all...so thanks for showing it!! Good luck!!

pandchintz said...

How gorgeous! It's looking lovely. Great mix of fabrics.

meli B said...

Its going to be brilliant. I love the concept, the way the shapes change and interlock as you progress.

Matthew said...

Beautiful. It reminds me a little of the Tessellations pattern in Feathering the Nest and some of the designs in Millefiore Quilts. Thanks for alerting me to this book. I had not heard of it.

Syed Kazim Ali said...

Online Business with hourly profit, Just Invest and Rest
AllTimeProfit.com

Nifty Quilts said...

Really beautiful, with your signature happy color combinations.

fiberchick said...

Love this! Thanks too for the book suggestion:)

Claudia said...

Now isn't that funny? I'm over here in Germany and read your blog that comes from the other side of the globe and find out about a German Book I had never heard of! So thank you very much for pointing out this book - I will go in search of it!

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous Mandala and book. I'd love to get a copy of this from somewhere. Do you know who stocks it????

Deb G. in VA said...

I love your Mandala. I'm also wondering where I could get a copy of the book. I live in the US.