Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Improv Quilted

The final post of my mini tute improv quilt series...quilted and bound! (picture heavy post)


I quilted my improv quilt using the free motion quilting method on my domestic Janome sewing machine. The quirkiness of this improv quilt leant itself very well to using many varying fmq designs.


Because it is difficult to capture the fmq that I've done across the quilt, I have taken some close ups to show. Simply click on any of the photo's to take a closer look....


If you missed earlier posts (here, here, here, here, and here), this quilt is created using the beautiful Oakshott cottons impressions range, with a couple of Keiko Goke fabrics and some black and white text thrown in. The sashings are a white with a lovely grey dot.


I take this quilt to my Free Motion Quilting classes at Treehouse Textiles (next class in August) to give an example of how you can use many different fm quilting styles across the one quilt.


I would suggest to only quilt this heavily on a quilt you will be hanging on a wall, rather than sitting or snuggling up under. The heavy quilting does make the quilt rather stiff!!!


It's a lot of fun to let your imagination go and 'colour in' the different blocks with thread. The thread I used here was a variegated Signature thread. It stitched up beautifully.


I used a white Rasant thread in organic straight lines over all the white sashing strips.


The strip of fabric I front basted (see this post) barely stands out as an applique now...


For the back of the quilt I used an older classic Kaffe Fassett fabric, with a row of leftover fabrics from the front...


Overall I am thrilled with how my improv quilt turned out. I will definitely be creating another quilt using the improv method in the future.


Over the next few weeks I am going to pick a couple of my favourite fmq designs that I have used on this quilt and show a step by step process of how to quilt them, stay tuned!! xo

18 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

I like your improv quilt, Cathy. The variety of quilting motifs makes it interesting in many ways.

(I like using Quilter's Dream Request because it is thin and makes quilts drape nicely; that said, I confess that while I do cover quilts with quilting, I haven't tried using it for extremely heavy quilting.)

Catherine said...

How I wish I could see your quilt! Up until now I have been sending my quilts away to be long arm quilted. This is proving to be very expensive so I have booked a couple of classes to learn the basics of fmq. The trouble is I have loved doing the patchwork and I am very reluctant to ruin something I have put so much time and effort into.
I am looking forward to your next posts on the topic. Thank you. BTW, the mini quilt is fab!

Grit said...

Your quilt looks fantastic. I love your quilting.

Salley said...

Such gorgeous quilting. And now bound, it is such a beauty.

Eva Leisure said...

Nice quilting - it fits perfect to the pretty quilt.

Schulz Family said...

what amazing quilting on the quilt

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Great quilting ideas!

Stephanie said...

I love the text fabric thrown in here and there. I admire your quilting abilities on a domestic machine! Really wonderful.

Nancy said...

Such a great quilt. I love all the different quilting designs and your fabric choices. You always use such bright cheerful fabrics.

Jodi said...

Oh, how I've loved watching this come together. And now more fabulousness with your fearless quilting! I need some of that!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful quilting

Mary Marcotte said...

Love your quilt and the quilting designs. FMQ is just too much fun to consider anything else, don't you think? I love figuring out how blocks come together and LOVE doing the same with FMQ. I could spend hours.....

Amanda said...

I love a quilt machine quilted to death. Great job.

meli B said...

Great stitching. You went to town and it looks brilliant.

Mdm Samm said...

improv certainly becomes you...striking quilting

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Archie the wonder dog said...

I love all the different quilting designs you've used! I've really enjoyed this series of posts, thank you!!
P.S. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous!

claire witherspoon said...

Ooooh, I love the improv of it all! The patchwork has a wonderful scrappy feel and the quilting is like an adventure in embellishment! Thank you also for all the interesting links! cheers!