Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Another Round a Whole Quilt and a Class

My Mandala rounds are slowing down a little now as the quilt grows. It's measuring roughly 33 inches (84cms) across and I'm not sure how much further I will grow it, or even how I will finish it yet!


I think I will bring the centre greens and blues back into the design next. For more info on this quilt see this post.

The other project I'm working on now is to quilt my beautiful piece of hand printed Linen I purchased from Cloth Fabric in Sydney a few months ago.


I decided to quilt this fairly simply and quickly, so I will free motion quilt it on my domestic sewing machine (Janome 6500P). After pinning the quilt sandwich, I have laid out 1/4 inch quilters tape to mark out some unusual triangular shapes.


Next I will stitch inside each shape, beginning just inside the taped outline, then working my way in towards the centre of each shape. A little hard to describe, I hope to be able to show it soon. I don't know that this is the best way to do it, because the centres may get a little puffy, I will give it a go and let you know!

Last Saturday I taught free motion quilting to such a beautiful bunch of talented women at Treehouse Textiles. Now that Em and Sarah have opened a shop in Mornington, the Treehouse at Merricks will be used once a month or so for special VIP classes. It is always such a treat to work there, in such a gorgeous setting, with beautiful food and new friendships made.


Em will also run regular weekly classes at her new, fabulous shop and you can see upcoming classes and book in for these on their website, here. For upcoming VIP classes...Judy Newman's classes are always very popular, her next one is 26th Sept here, and don't miss out on a class with the talented Trish Harper on 18th Oct here. For more info about their new shop, see this post. See you in the shop!!! xo

10 comments:

Janet said...

Wow, I love that gorgeous piece of fabric, it looks quite big and I'll look forward to seeing how the quilting enhances it.
Great going on the Mandala, it has your style stamp on it. You're a brave woman teaching machine quilting but the photos look great.

Joanna @ Riddle and {Whimsy} said...

Your Manadala is looking great! I loved seeing the progress pics as it grew in a previous post.

Sujata Shah said...

I love your mandala quilt, SO YOU! It is going to be so stunning when finished! I will be watching it's progress.

Archie the wonder dog said...

You've got two stunning projects on the go and I can't wait for the next instalment!!

liniecat said...

I blame you entirely.
That striking mandala and book recommendation - its all your fault!!
I bought the book, fallen for the ideas therein and now need to learn German, because Im desperate to know what shes saying!!

Nifty Quilts said...

It looks so great! I love the variety of colors and fabrics.

Carla said...

The mandala is coming along just great!

Silmara said...

I loved your work!!!

Carla said...

I love seeing what you are working on, Cathy!

Oops-Lah said...

What a lovely word Burble is. I had to look it up on Google translate and it makes perfect sense and I know exactly what kind of state you are with all your projects. And they are looking fab as always; love your Mandala; it's interesting to see how it changes with each round.