Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Unconventional & Unexpected...A Book Review

To say that Roderick Kiracofe's world has been touched by quilts would be an understatement. He has spent many fruitful years of his life searching for, collecting and cataloging quilts across America (predominantly from the last half of the twentieth century) and now he shares his incredible collection with us in his exceptional new book "Unconventional & Unexpected: American Quilts Below The Radar 1950-2000" released 9th Sept.


Roderick has long been involved with craft, painting, photography, art collecting and co-authoring quilt books. In the introduction to this book he shares how he fell in love with quilts and how his magnificent quilt collection came to be.


Woven throughout the book and striking photographs of the quilts, are fabulous essays from renowned quilters (some of whom you will recognize I'm sure!).


I have thoroughly enjoyed sitting down with a cuppa and losing myself in the essays that, along with the quilts tell stories about the people who made these quilts, their lives, the influences on them and the communities they lived in.


Roderick shares that his collection is based on "quilts (that) are not precious: they are "real" and were made to be used" (pg 13). Personally I love the quirkiness and colour, the design and sense of adventure a lot of these quilts possess and could easily see these quilts both being used on my bed, or hanging on my wall! (oh I wish!!!).

Some of the quilts are shown with their beautiful, patched backs.

I've been inspired by so many of the quilts in these pages, and one of them has already made my fingers so itchy to create I've started my own based on this fabulous quilt called Mosaic Rose (pg 176).


I am making my version of it out of Liberty of London fabrics, and I'm thrilled with the result so far. Two blocks done, I will probably do 30 in total. Perhaps I will call it Liberty Rose?!!



As I wrote to Roderick...the quilts, the colours, the essays, the eye-catching flyleaf cover, even the beautiful weight and finish of the paper used to create the book, and the collection of quilts he has spent years putting together, all combine to make this a very significant book in the quilting world. I am thrilled to have it in my collection!



14 comments:

Theresa said...

Well how could I resist after that review! Purchased. Thanks for the inspriation Cathy.

Alison said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. I just love the old and unusual quilts. Real quilts. Not a bit of fibre art! Will purchase when it is released.

Donna~~ said...

Looks like a great book to own! I like the quilt you chose to make, but oh those pieces on the original one look small. What size are you making yours?

Donna~~ said...

Looks like a great book to own! I like the quilt you chose to make, but oh those pieces on the original one look small. What size are you making yours?

Patchwork and Play said...

I'm loving your Liberty Rose blocks already! This also looks like an interesting book. Thanks for the insightful review Cathy!

Stephanie said...

I have the book on my Amazon wish list. I'm very happy for your review and a glimpse inside of the book. I'm sure now it will get added to my cart!

Alcea Rosea 31 said...

Wow, thank you for showing me a glimpse of a very interesting book and one that is now on my wish list.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

OOOHHHH! This has been on my list, I can't wait to get it. Thanks for the peek inside.

Sujata Shah said...

Cathy,
Thanks for the sneak peek..Those quilts looks so inspiring. I am sure i would want to make every single quilt in the book too. Your version of Mosaic Rose is looking beautiful.

carla said...

Hi!!! Sounds like a wonderful book!!! Love your Liberty Rose blocks!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Mine is on pre-order, auto-ship . . . thanks for making me even MORE eager to get my copy!

Archie the wonder dog said...

It sounds like a wonderful book and I love your new blocks!

pandchintz said...

That looks such an interesting book. Thanks for the review Cathy. Love your new blocks and eager to see these as they grow in number.

antique quilter said...

I have loved all his books, looks like I need this one !
I love utility style quilts the quilt you chose to make with liberty fabrics is going to be beautiful
looking forward to seeing more!
Kathie