Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Well Hello There!

Ok, so it's been a while since I was here last...a very long while, yes, I know.

So why am I back now?
Am I back for good?
I have absolutely no idea!!!
We will just see what happens.


So, what's been happening out there while I've been gone?
Here at Cabbage Quilts headquarters we have had many changes over the past year or so. A house move, a wedding, two sons growing up and moving out of home (oh that one is so hard). We are well settled now into our new home (still on the Mornington Peninsula) and love the views, sunrises and sunsets we see here.




 We still have Millie, funny dog that she is. For those who have never met Millie, she is a Groodle (part poodle part golden retriever) and she keeps us well entertained with her antics.


I have a great studio here and the creating is still going on. Lately I've been loving creating clamshells. I'm using Irene Blancks (Focus on Quilts) clamshell pattern which makes them very easy to put together.


As well as a few finishes...


 An improv quilt. I'm really loving playing around with the improvisational method of creating quilts, for this one, I sat at my machine with a pair of scissors and strips of fabric and cut and sewed without using rulers. It is actually very freeing and satisfying.


I've also finished my Liberty Lawn trip around the world quilt.


I used simple hand quilting with Valdani variegated thread in straight lines to finish this one. You can see the quilting better from the back..


The backing are Kaffe Fassett shot cottons so this quilt is soooo soft and snuggly. It was gifted to my dear Mum.

Well, that is about it for this post, so what have you all been up to for the past year?!!!

15 comments:

Sharon T said...

Welcome back! Love your work!

Judi B said...

Hi Cathy I was so excited this morning when I saw the email notification in my in box. I hope you are doing well sounds like you have been extremely busy. Thank you for your post and for making my day!!

Robina Sanderson said...

Hi Cathy -lovely to see your post. I've found you blog truly inspirational. I was wondering if your mandala quilt is complete, in the picture of Millie you shared it looked like it might be the mandala quilt on the back of the sofa? I ask because your posts about this quilt and your process persuaded me to have a go a english paper piecing and I have been enjoying creating my own mandala very much. Cheers Robina.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

...

Teje Karjalainen said...

Beautiful and colourful post! I'm too busy now at work to write but try to read a little bit now and then. Have a lovely summer! x Teje

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm happy you are back! I hope to see more posts soon.

Nifty Quilts said...

So nice to see you here again! The view from your new home is beautiful! Love your improv. Your Liberty trip is luscious. Congratulations on your move and finishes.

Julie said...

So nice to see you back. Love that Liberty Quilt. I am trying to pluck up the courage to baste mine, then hand quilt it ......
Have a fabulous weekend.

Oops-Lah said...

What a wonderfully colourful post, so glad to "have" you back. I'm missing so many of the regular bloggers as they probably all defected to IG ;)! Love all of your new projects and the view of your new home is amazing! Life is constantly changing and one has to get used to new realities with kids growing up and moving on. Not always easy!!! You've asked what "we" have been up to. Well I have moved too, back to Switzerland after 30 years of living in Australia and Asia. Talk about change ;)!!!

Susanne richter-antonijevic said...

oh cathy,it is wonderful to hear from you again,what a colourful post,susi

willowpillow said...

Finally, you are back! I have missed your blog. You create beautiful quilts and are such an inspiration to all of us!

Claudia said...

Yes - it's truly good to hear from you again and furthermore to hear that you are doing fine! And you even have a new studio - wow! Also I know how hard it is to let the childen go, wonderful to see them grow but sad to see them go!

Salley said...

Loving watching you on IG (as @appliqueensal)
Your quilts are so gorgeous... and your new scenery is lovely to see and hear about.

roccagal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roccagal said...

Soo happy to see a post from you! Glad all is well in your corner of the world! Still making lovely quilts see-no surprise there!
Cheers,until next time :-)